Thursday, February 24, 2011

Graf Spree, Flames of war project

Photobucket


So I been working on my Bodenstandig and I found I needed a Graf Spree gun! So I set to making it.


The gun itself was going to be hard to make but a talk with my dad gave me ideas, and he even helped me make the barrel out of metal tubing he had and he made me a mold for my support beams that i will affix my cammo netting to it latter. My carts are way too big but im glad with them.

I use some extra Rocket bits for looks, =). I found only two photos and so I modeled my model to be close to the top photo over the lower one here,

Photobucket

I needed it for my Bodenstandig list. This is the list im playing around with,

German late war Bodenstandig (Infantry company with Fortifications)

Bodenstandig HQ 35

Grenadier platoon + panzerknacker 125
Grenadier platoon + panzerknacker 125
Grenadier platoon + panzerknacker 125

Pioneer platoon + Supply truck 195
Pioneer platoon + Supply truck 195
Heavy artillery platoon 190
8.8 platoon with trasports 100

Port Fortifications Total of 670
Anti tank bunker with 7.5cm gun 80
Anti tank bunker with 7.5cm gun 80
HMG nest 40
HMG nest 40
2 Anti Tank traps 200
28cm Navel gun 200
6 Trench lines 30

Total 1750

So an upcoming tournament got me building! this gun so far took me about 6 hours to construct, tomorrow I hope to start painting it.

Without further ado here is my attempt at the Graf Spree model.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


I think my bunker is a bit bigger then it would be, I had to guess what was inside, but I like what I came up with.

Let me know what you think?

-Andrew Haught

9 comments:

  1. Looks great to me, did you have some interior pics of the bunker? And the guns were from the Graf Spee?

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Well done! Might have to write another article for WI or the web... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliff,
    I only had the two photos that I posted of two of the guns, so I had to invent what I thought the inside whould look like. I am most likey wrong but I think it will be close enough for the flames of war table.

    Michael,
    Lol, yeah dad had alot of cool bits that make it easyer to build, I got to this point in a 4-5 hours. I should have let the spackel dry a bit more before i primed it but I have never been one to wait. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool beans man.

    No, the guns were not from the Graf Spee, they were named after the same famous German count the ship was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. That is really well done. Very nicely done. Can't wait to see it painted.
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome model!

    They're not from the Graf Spee. They're pre-WWI guns removed from pre-dreadnoughts.

    http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_11-40_skc04.htm

    http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_11-40_skc04_pics.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments,

    WarHighlander,

    Just to clear up what you are saying

    Your comment makes me think that you think that I was saying the gun was from a ship called the Graf Spee, thats not what im saying,

    The bunkers are called Graf Spee after an old
    World war one hero.

    Or are you saying that I have the wrong bunker photos and if so do you have photos of the Graf Spee bunkers?

    I am pretty shure that the first photo is the 28cm Naval Gun bunker named after Graf Spee after my bother sent it to me i found a few more sorces that named that photo as a Graf Spee buneker. If its wrong can you give me links to photo of the real bunkers?

    ReplyDelete